DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi Friends!

I am new to this forum as I am picking up long awaited  goldendoodle puppy in July, but I was raised with a standard poodle growing up.

Our breeder currently feeds the puppies a raw diet, specifically "Instinct Raw Patties".  I honestly wasn't aware of raw food diets for dogs until our breeder told us about it.  We plan on feeding our puppy this, at least for the first few weeks, since it is what our puppy is used to and we don't want to upset his/her stomach.

This may be a silly question but, I saw the patties in the pet food store today, and they are frozen, and per the instructions they should be served thawed (obviously).  If I plan on feeding my puppy early in the morning when I wake up, when/how should I thaw these patties?  Should I put them in the fridge the night before, or what is the best method?  Should I break it up in the bowl for the pup?  I apologize if these are silly questions, but I'm just not familiar with raw patties...

My other question is, after a few weeks, we may try to transition off of the raw patties, because to be honest we don't have very much freezer space, and they are quite pricey.  Our breeder doesn't love the idea of kibble diets and the dog CANNOT have wheat, soy or corn.  If we switch off of the instinct raw patties our breeder recommends a dehydrated raw diet like either The Honest Kitchen or Nature's Variety/Instinct, which I see on the recommended food list.  I guess if we switched, we would have to slowly transition the pup from the raw diet to the dehydrated one right?  

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience regarding feeding their dog a raw diet, and using these Instinct Raw Patties, or the dehydrated raw food?  I'm worried because I definitely want to feed my dog the best food, but at this point I might need to buy a freezer, or figure something out in the meantime. Also...these raw patties certainly are pricey, so maybe dehydrated raw is a happy medium?

Thank you for all the thoughts and input!!  I know you all have so much experience and insight!

-Soon to be doodlemom! 

Views: 133

Replies to This Discussion

Jacqueline, are you talking about commercial, ready to feed raw diets? 

Yes i am

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2017   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service