Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum
I am scared to death as I am writing this!!! How can I tell if my doodle has accidentally gone into heat???????? this was NEVER SUPPOSED to happen!!!!! she is only 6 mo old, and per our contract we have until 8 mo of age!!
I was waiting til end of August / First of Sept., after our back to school madness w/ son settled and our company visits that has 2 dogs ( I knew it would be hard ot keep her settled while they are here). It was truly my plan to do it right after labor day..
I have noticed a few places on the floor that look pinky - bloodish.... like when i cut her nail too short once and she moved around while it was still clotting....
I AM PANICKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else have this happen early????? I was told by a doodle boarder that she hadn't heard of many doodles that come into heat before 8 mo. that's whay i had not panicked and had it done in July. I was thinking I had plenty of time in last august??
I was told by my wet any where from 5-9 months she would come into heat. I got Cocoa fixed before her first heat and now wish I would have waited until she had 1 because she seams to have a weak bladder and I have been told that could have fixed it.... glad my vet let us know UGH.
Stephanie, I am thinking you should post this on the main forum as well because there may be some more experienced owners with older dogs who have might have some answers for you. My dog was already spayed when we got her so I am no help at all. Good luck!
My vet suggested we have Lucy fixed at 5 months, before her 1st heat, which we did (I think we had until 6 months as per the breeder contract, although it may have been longer, I just can't remember). She has never had bladder problems. I wouldn't panic if I were you, although I would keep her away from dog parks, etc. while she's in heat. Just stick to your original plan... and relax!
I did a google search to see what the benefits were of spaying before the 1st heat, and it appears it reduces the risk of certain cancers (primarily mammary cancer - something 1 in 4 unspayed dogs experience), and rules out the possibility of pyometra, a life threatening uterine infection that often needs emergency surgery. As to mammary cancer, spaying early gives the highest chance of avoiding it. The chance (of avoiding mammary cancer) further goes down by 25% after the first heat, and another 25% with subsequent heats. I figure knowledge is power and yes, it would have been best to avoid the 1st heat. But in my mind, its still nothing to panic about. It kind of sounds like you're most concerned you were misinformed about the timing of the onset of the 1st heat. I think it really is an individual thing, with some dogs maturing faster than others. My last cat (who died at 23yrs old) went into heat at 4 months old, something that really threw me for a loop. I was most upset over the NOISE she made during that heat..lol.. I know, I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I hear where you're coming from.
We had a suprise heat at 5.5 months. When we went to the vet to schedule her spaying she was in heat. The vet spayed her the next day. They did it with laser and she was her old self in 4 days.
Yes we are definately going to spay - no question about it! I guess i am just REALLY worried about our contract w/ the breder? I haven't surpasssed the 8 months... but if for some crazy reason the vet makes me wait a month, then that could be a problem!
I would imagine the breeder would be understanding if indeed she's in heat right now as confirmed by a vet.
** meant to say "IF" the vet makes me wait a month. Trying to do some research on what the risk is for doing it now , vs waiting, and if we wait still the bleeding stops, then how soon after the bleeding can we do the surgery.