DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

It's cold outside. So it's a great month to focus on indoor shooting.

For this assignment I'm not going to request that you use a flash or any fancy lighting. Natural light should be fine. We can take the principles for shooting outdoors inside. We will need to probably up the iso on our cameras (most modern cameras handle it pretty well). 

Tips and ideas:

Look for the light: place your dog near a window or a lamp. Window light is awesome and can be quite dramatic. Have your dog looking towards the light works really well.

Pay attention to your backgrounds: Clutter can be your enemy (I know it's mine.) Often I will find my self running around and clearing items that are distracting in the picture. Another way to remove it is to shoot with very shallow DOF. 

Find things in your house that you can use as backdrops, or props (Laurie is the queen of props!)

Capture those everyday moments or those cute little things about your dog that you will cherish forever. The most important part of all of this.

Have fun. Can't wait to see what you all come back with.

Oh, very important, if you are shooting indoors with tungsten light or any other artificial light source pay careful attention to your white balance. 

Views: 1440

Replies to This Discussion

I am working on this assignment tomorrow! I am sorry I have been absent this month.

I only posted the assignment 2 days ago. I'm the one late. Relax.  Don't get sick again. 

Can't wait to see what you do.  Can you come to California and bring me some cute props?  Please!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't it just be easier for you to come to me? LOL

These are gorgeous pictures.  Love the lighting.  You are right about the cold...here in Michigan with sub zero weather it's been a challenge to get the dogs outside to exercise.  

Yes. It's good that we can shoot indoors. Recent cameras do allow us that.

My house does not have good natural lighting especially this time of year.  Haley was a sleepy doodle today and house bound with me as I had severe aches and pains from a little snow shoveling yesterday.  These were shot with on camera speedlight bounced off its built in bounce card. 

So sweet, Anne

Thank you, DJ.

Very cute and great job. Just watch your white balance. It seems a little off.

How are you determining your white balance? Are you using the white balance eye dropper in ACR? I don't see much that would be neutral gray. You could take a reading off of Haley's teeth and warm it up slightly.

These images were shot in mixed lighting.  The first Haley was in the kitchen with mostly LED lighting plus one florescent (warm white) and my speed light with WB set on auto in camera.

The second was shot with a LED overhead light and speedlight with WB set on auto.

Both images had WB adjusted in LR to flash. 

I have tried adjusting in ACR as you suggested but nothing looks right to me.

Glad to hear you are using lightroom.

Mixed lighting is very hard and at times impossible. I have a gray card. They are very cheap to buy and sometimes I use it to take a shot and use that to click on for the white balance. Another option is to take a gray shirt that is very neutral and start with that. I always use the eye dropper and then adjust. I don't rely on the fixed settings.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2018   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service