Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum
This is just a warning to folks using Duraflame Quick Start Logs to keep them out of reach and not accessible to your dogs. We are staying with relatives on our way down to Florida, and Wally just snacked on one. He only ingested a small amount and the ingredients seem relatively innocuous. We will keep an eye on him, but want to share what happened with all of you.
It's a good idea to keep an eye on him. I hope he will be fine.
Here's some info from the Duraflame website:
Are firelogs or firestarters toxic if my pet eats part of them?
Our firelogs are made of sawdust, agricultural fibers, waxes and oils; we are not aware of any ingredients that would cause a chemically toxic reaction should your pet consume a small amount of these products. However, the wood fibers in the product are not digestible. Depending on how much of the firelog or firestarter is eaten, your pet may become constipated or have an upset stomach. If you have a small pet or the pet has eaten a large amount of the product you should consult a veterinarian as the pet may experience complications with its digestive system.
Thanks, Karen. I read that right after we discovered Wally munching on one of those Duraflame logs. He is absolutely fine, so far. We have kept him nearby all day. Those logs smell and look like high-value dog treats.
Thanks for the warning- it would never have occurred to me that they’d be tasty!
I am so glad you posted this - not glad Wally is ill. We are getting ready to purchase the creosote logs to clean the fireplace and will be sure to keep them in the garage.
Not to worry . . . Wally is totally fine. My husband discovered Wally snacking on the single log before too much was consumed. Wally is so reliable that it was really a surprise to find him eating something that was not given to him. The Duraflame Quick Start Log was in a basket low to the ground and looked, smelled and apparently tasted like a treat.