DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

UPDATE:

Just heard from surgeon - surgery was successful, he's awake now and resting comfortably. All went smoothly. They removed the spleen with two masses - it will take 5-7 days for results from the lab. He said he thinks it's a 50/50 chance now of cancer. a lot better odds than where we were a few weeks ago.

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind. We thought Winston had hemangiosarcoma (see here) but now we aren't so sure.

We've consulted with a great oncologist - best in the region. Last week Tuesday we took him in and things looked pretty grim. Winston's Thrombocytopenia (a secondary condition to the tumor on his spleen, which causes internal bleeding due to low platelets in the blood) was acting up. He had zero platelets and only 18% red blood cells, so was seriously anemic and had started some small internal bleeds that the doc thought was going to get worse. He told us Winston was too far advanced and would likely bleed out in the coming days or else his heart would give out. He offered us a solution that would keep him going to the weekend - a low dose shot of chemo and tripled his cyclosporine medication. He said it was a shot in the dark, he was doubtful it would work but it might help for a few days.

We were obviously devastated. We cancelled everything and took off the next day for the cottage to spend his last few days in comfort. He was really weak and indeed showing signs of internal bleeding. 

But then suddenly it all stopped. He perked up. We were surprised but hopeful. He slowly started eating again. His stools were normal-ish again. The red spots all around his body disappeared. His gums turned pink again. By the end of the weekend he was playing with the ball again and was eating full meals and then some. Tuesday took him in for another blood test and we were all blown away. Whatever the oncologist did completely turned him around. His platelets shot up well into normal and his red blood cell count was just below normal.

After discussing with the oncologist and regular vet yesterday we decided to bring him in for another ultrasound to check what's going on - best radiologist in the area and the only one the Oncologist trusts. Based on the results, we will decide to do surgery or not to remove the spleen. Because as it turns out, after all of this, the actual tumor might still be benign. The Oncologist said it's about a 40% chance that it's benign. It's a gamble but I'm willing to take those odds.

So Winston is currently on route to Montreal, chauffeured by my wonderful boyfriend who's been a star and taking care of Winston (and me) during this difficult time. I'm waiting anxiously for the results of the ultrasound but if he goes to surgery we will go back tomorrow to visit, and stay the night in a hotel so we can *hopefully* take him home on Saturday to recover. 

Winston needs all your Thoughts and Prayers (TAPS) today!

Here he is resting and recovering by the fire at the cottage.

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so glad to hear Winston has a chance. I will be thinking of you and hoping for a good outcome.

Sending thoughts and prayers to Winston!!

This is such good news. I'm keeping you and Winston in my thoughts and hoping for the best possible outcome.

He's undergoing surgery right now. There are two masses on his spleen, not just one.    :(    I'm so worried about him.

Hang in there, kid. We're all here for you and Winston. 

He's with a whole bunch of strangers that he's never met before. It kills me to think he is going to wake up there in strange surroundings with no familiar people. :( 

They will take very good care of him. 

Way to go Winston!  Thoughts are with you all and praying for the best possible outcome!  Hugs!

I am so happy to hear that Winston has a chance at getting better! All fingers, toes, and paws crossed here wishing for the best!!

Sending positive thoughts and prayers for Winston.

Oh what a difficult time you have been through!  This does sound like a little miracle, and I hope that his improvement continues and the surgery is a success.

Just heard from surgeon - surgery was successful, he's awake now and resting comfortably. All went smoothly. They removed the spleen with two masses - it will take 5-7 days for results from the lab. He said he thinks it's a 50/50 chance now of cancer. a lot better odds than where we were a few weeks ago.

RSS

 

 Support Doodle Kisses 


 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2017   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service